Summary of 2014 USPS Postage Rate Updates:
- First Class letters (up to 1 oz.) will increase by three cents to $0.49, with each additional ounce costing an extra $0.21 (a one-cent increase over 2013).
- NEW! A new First Class letter rate for the “Metered Mail” category (including online postage providers like Stamps.com and postage meters) has been introduced for 2014. At $0.48, this “Metered Mail” rate will be one cent cheaper than the retail rate of $0.49.
- First Class Flats are due to go up by six cents to $0.98, with additional ounces an extra $0.21 (a one-cent increase from the 2013 rate of $0.20).
- Postcard rates will increase to $0.34 from $0.33.
- Priority Mail Commercial Base rates for online postage will still start at $5.05, but prices will go down a bit compared to 2013 in some weight ranges and zones.
- On average, First Class Package Service will rise an average of 5% next year.
- NEW! A new Zone 9 is being introduced and will represent freely associated states and U.S. territories (Micronesia, Marshall Islands, Palau) for Priority Mail and Priority Mail Express mail classes.
- NEW! For Priority Mail International, the maximum weight will increase from 44 to 70 pounds for Rate Group 2 (Mexico).
- NEW! For Commercial Plus Pricing, the minimum annual package volume threshold will be lowered to 50,000 packages.
- NEW! Now, USPS Tracking will be available to the countries of Estonia, Finland, Gibraltar, Hungary, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malaysia, Malta, Portugal and Singapore.
Below is a more detailed look at changes for some of the main USPS mail classes.
Priority Mail Express
In 2014, the average increase in pricing for Priority Mail Express will be 3.0%. The table below shows the increase for all zones for packages weighing up to 4 lbs.
Compared to 2013, rates will be going down for some Priority Mail weight ranges and zones.
First Class Package Service
Expect an average increase of 5.0% for First Class Package Service in 2014. The table below shows the increase for packages weighing up to 13 ounces.
- Overall, First Class Package International Service rates will increase 0.8%, although Commercial Base (online) prices will not go up in 2014.
- Priority Mail International rates will increase 1.1%.
- Priority Mail Express International rates will increase 1.3%.
- Global Express Guaranteed rates will increase 3.0%.
Are you prepared?
Start the year off right by keeping these changes in mind as you consider your e-commerce site’s policies and procedures for 2014. Remember, when you use an online vendor like Stamps.com for your postage needs, changes and charges will be automatically updated as soon as they take effect on January 26, so you won’t have to worry about your packages being held up for lack of postage. Regardless of your shipping vendor, however, it’s good to keep these any applicable new rates handy, if and when you need to update your e-commerce site and customers about changes. Here’s to more great sales for you in 2014!